10 tips for spring cleaning
Ring in the spring with these 10 cleaning tips for your home.
1. Wash your pillows. Wash pillow covers every three weeks. Wash pillows every three months and replace pillows every three years.
2. Bathe/groom your pets. Bathing and grooming can help control dust, dander and hair pets leave behind.
3. Remove your shoes. Removing your shoes before entering reduces the amount of dirt and pollen you track into your home.
4. Ditch the vinyl shower curtain. Vinyl shower curtains exude harmful chemicals in humidity and heat. They also attract mold and mildew, so replace vinyl curtains with nylon ones.
5. Clean closet floor and bookshelf clutter. Vacuum closet floors to clean out the fabric, hair and skin that settles there. Wipe away the dust on books and objects on book shelves, then wipe down the bookshelf.
6. Monitor mold. Check dishwashers, drains, basements or other spaces that can harbor humidity. Ventilate bathrooms, pantries and rooms that often feel stale and humid.
7. Steam clean or freeze stuffed animals. Stuffed animals can harbor dust mites, so steam clean them, use an upholstery attachment to vacuum them or freeze them in freezer bags for 24 hours to prevent buildup. Store them in bins or boxes when not in use.
8. Clean your refrigerator. Check expiration dates and toss food older than a few months. Pull out drawers and wash them with hot, soapy water, then wipe everything down. Wipe the exterior and check the front grill to make sure it’s free of dust and lint.
9. Dust away. To avoid spreading more dust in the air with traditional dusters, try dampening a microfiber cloth. They grab and trap dust, leaving little behind.
10. Clean your rugs. Rugs harbor more dust than any other place in the house, so vacuum and spot-clean or shampoo them. Make sure they’re dry before using them, as wet rugs collect more dirt and dust.
Cleaning your home with the intent to sell? Contact me!